These contraseñas are ones that we have used to enter the class this year. They are well-known Spanish cultural sayings, quotes by famous Spanish speakers, phrases that require a subjunctive, useful idiomatic expressions, or just for fun. Write in Spanish. (Answers and commentary will be shared in an upcoming blog here.)
- “Little by little one goes far.” _
- I was born the (#) of (month) of the year (#).
- “Zamora was not won in an hour.”
- What English saying conveys a similar message?
- I forgot! / It forgot me!
- It left me. / It went away from me.
I hope that... Write 3 sentences with this phrase:
I don’t believe that… Write 3 sentences with this phrase:
- “Whoever gets up early, God helps.”
- Said and done!
- “From the said to the done, there is a great distance.”
- “Speaking of the king of Rome, and through the door he appears/shows up/peeps.”
- What is the historical relevance of this ↑ phrase?
- “Time is gold.”
- “A powerful gentleman is [Title of respect] Money.”
- Where does this phrase ↑come from?
- “When I had money, they called me Don Thomas…
- …now that I don’t have it, they call me Thomas, nothing more.”
- I am so glad! / That makes me so happy!
- “Computers are useless. They can only give us answers.”
- Who said it ↑ ?
- Don’t bother me! / Quit bugging me!
- “If at the beginning you do not show who you are,
you will never be able to afterwards when you want to.”
- Where does this ↑ phrase come from?
- “There where you may go [in the future], do that which you may see [in the future].”
- “Who laughs last, laughs best.“
- “There is no bad that through good might not come.”
- “Only an idiot can be totally happy.”
- Who said it?
- Rapid run the cars, the cars of the railroad.
- That’s exactly right! / Literally: “That, yes, that is it!”
- As I eat little cocoa, I buy little cocoa.
- Three sad tigers, threshed wheat in a wheat field.
It bothers me when… Write 3 sentences with this phrase:
- “In a closed mouth, flies do not enter.”
- “Better a bird in the hand, than one hundred flying.”
- “Although the monkey dresses in silk, a monkey it remains.”
I didn’t realize that… Write 3 sentences with this phrase:
- “To bad weather/time, good face.”